Tuesday, April 04, 2006



From being slow to finding faith to being married and having a child: WTF?

Watching my sister grow up struggling in many school subjects, being preached like many Chinese kids that they have to do better; I understood the pain and relief she must have felt when she found out that she had a learning disability. It has to be most discomforting to be constantly wondering why everyone seems to be learning faster and seemingly always trying to catch up. It pleased me to know she made it through college but stressed me to watch her study at 6:30 in the morning and not return until 2:00am the next day. This was her daily routine. She worked harder then anyone I knew at the time just to get near failing grades. Ultimately these were her steps to independence which deep down inside I always viewed it as an acute misleading detail in her life. I never believed she could truly be independent with the assortment of personal disabilities.
A few years back, I was home for dinner and noticed my sister closing her eyes and whispering something to herself. “What the Hell are you doin?” “Mom, Dad, Wes, I’m a Mormon now.” For a family that never practiced, preached or even seen the inside of a church in years past our memories, this was a disaster. Not only does my sister have a few mental disabilities but now she’s got split personalities. “Melissa, are you there? Where are you?” This was a common thought in my head. Out of all the faiths to choose from, she chooses the most strict, to the book, you better not swear and don’t you dare drink that beer and oh yeah, give me 10% of your earnings each pay religions. My sister asked me to stay at my place in Toronto for 2 weeks to find a job; 7 months later she was still there… If anyone is getting 10%, it should be ME! At the time, it was clear that I objected the idea of her choosing such a turn in faith.
As time grew on, I had to admit the church gave her strength and courage to believe strongly in herself; an acceptable trade off for the preaching’s and Mormon Chinese bible I got for Christmas I guess. At least I knew she wasn’t having sex before marriage. Oh wait… “I’m getting married… in a few months.” This was last years surprise surprise. The truth is, my parents and myself needed a long time to accept the love of her life; they’ve been going out for 6 or 7 years and that still wasn’t long enough for us to fully digest, so when marriage arose after the religion episode… lets just say time needed a lot of understanding and tenderness.
Flash forward… “Hi Wes, it’s Melissa…. You know... your sister. Nate (Mormon husband) has something to tell you.” “Hi Wes, it’s Nate…. You know... your brother-in-law that plans to change his last name to yours (seriously, he is going to take on our family's last name). Uh, We just wanted to tell you that you are going to be a proud new UNCLE!”
Paralyzed in thought, I think my response was, “a Chinese Mormon baby?” Now that’s mixed up s*&#.
Given a day to really think about it, my sister has gone a long way from being totally dependent to semi-independent to holy shit, I think she can really survive on her own.
You’ve got courage sis’! I’m happy for you and I’ll be there for ya’ always.

2 comments:

Mr. W said...

Thanks Stefano, its always interesting to read comments from people whom you might never run into. As for the sibbling thing, I'm sure you have friends who you call bro's and sista's...
take care.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wes,

You are so raw and heartfelt, I think this is my favorite entry of yours...that baby is going to have a very special uncle, she/he are lucky already!

K
P.S.: hope you are feeling better...say hi to your beautiful Lady